Our privacy commitment
Cheapbills is committed to protecting the privacy of your personal information. This policy explains how cheapbills manages the personal information that we collect, use and disclose and how to contact us if you have any further questions about our management of your personal information. This policy does not cover personal information collected or held by cheapbills Ltd or any of its related bodies corporate (as applicable) about its employees.
Cheapbills is bound by the Australian Privacy Principles in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (and applicable State and Territory health privacy legislation), which regulate how we may collect, use, disclose and store personal information, and how individuals may access and correct personal information held about them. cheapbills is also required to comply with the Spam Act 2003 (Cth) and the Do Not Call Register Act 2006 (Cth).
What is personal information?
Personal information is any information or an opinion, in any form, true or not, about an identified individual or an individual who is reasonably identifiable. Examples of personal information include their name, address, phone number and email address.
Sensitive information is a special category of personal information. Sensitive information includes health information and information about a person’s race, political opinions, ethnic origin, religious or philosophical beliefs, membership of political, professional or trade associations, sexual preferences, and criminal history.
How does cheapbills collect and hold your personal information?
Cheapbills only collects personal information about you by fair and lawful means. Cheapbills collects personal information in a number of ways. Our usual practice is to collect personal information directly from you or your authorized representative, for example in these instances:
- you enquire about or require a quotation for a product or service offered by our participating providers;
- you apply for or purchase a product offered by a cheapbills business and one our partnered providers;
- you contact us by telephone, e-mail, online, or mail;
- you visit our website;
- we supply other products or services to you; or
- you enter into competitions, trade promotions, special offers or other offers with cheapbills or its direct partners.
Sometimes we collect personal information about customers or potential customers from third parties, a publicly available source, or marketing and similar lists legally acquired.
What types of personal information does cheapbills collect and store?
The types of personal information that we collect and hold about you depend on the circumstances of collection, including whether you are a customer, provider, contractor, stakeholder, job applicant or provide information in another capacity.
For example, if you request a quote for a service or product offered by one of our participating providers, we may collect your name, address, email address, telephone number, date of birth and any other information needed to give you a quote. If you deal with us in another capacity, we may collect your name, contact details and any other information you choose to provide to us.
Any personal information that you provide via our website or call center (for example, for comparison purposes, or to obtain a quote or purchase products) is collected and stored by cheapbills.
To provide some services, it may be necessary to collect and hold your sensitive information (such as medical or lifestyle information), for example, if you wish to obtain a comparison quote on health or life insurance. We only collect sensitive information about you with your consent (unless we are otherwise allowed or requested to by law).
cheapbills may monitor and record phone calls that made to us in some circumstances. For example, calls to our contact center are monitored and recorded for staff training, to improve customer service, and to meet regulatory guidelines.
Some of the products offered by our participating providers can cover more than one person (for example, family and couples health insurance policies that cover two or more persons). If you provide us with information about your partner or a dependant on the policy, you must obtain that person’s permission to give us the information and inform them of this policy.
If we are not able to collect your personal information, we may not be able to provide you with our products or services or do business with you or the organization with which you are connected.
How does cheapbills use your personal information?
Cheapbills uses personal information for a range of reasons including:
- providing services and products to our customers;
- answering inquiries and delivering customer service;
- informing our customers and prospective customers about products, services or promotional offers we think may be of interest to them;
- Informing Energy customers and prospective customers about other products, services or promotional offers we think may be of interest to them;
- ensuring we comply with the requirements of our participating providers;
- maintaining and improving our customer service;
- meeting our regulatory and legal obligations;
- managing and resolving any legal or commercial complaints and issues;
- considering job applicants for current and future employment;
- managing our relationships with participating providers, suppliers, and stakeholders;
- carrying out internal functions including training; and
- conducting marketing research and analysis.
Cheapbills may also use personal information for purposes required or authorized by or under
Australian law, including purposes for which you have provided your consent. That consent may be written, verbal or implied by your conduct.
When does cheapbills disclose your personal information?
- In providing products and services to you, we may disclose personal information. Your personal information might be shared between cheapbills businesses as outlined in this policy.cheapbills may disclose your personal information to, where appropriate:
- professional advisors;
- contracted service providers, including:
- information technology service providers;
- payment systems operators and financial institutions;
- organizations authorized by cheapbills to conduct promotional, research and/or marketing activities;
- legal agencies or government authorities; and
- persons acting on your behalf including those nominated by you: executors, trustees; and legal representatives.
- We may disclose your personal information to third parties for other purposes required or authorized by or under the law, including purposes for which you have provided your consent.
That consent may be written, verbal or implied from your conduct. In all circumstances where your personal information is disclosed, we will take all reasonable steps to ensure that these third parties undertake to protect your privacy.
Customers and potential customers may be contacted from time-to-time with information about services and products offered by cheapbills and our business partners, which may interest you. We will contact you by email, SMS, mail, telephone, or social media. Usually, we provide you the opportunity to opt out direct marketing. Consent to receive direct marketing communications is implied if you do not opt out of direct marketing and remains current until you advise us otherwise. Opt-out of direct marketing any time.
Contact our Privacy Officer to find out how we obtained your personal information using the details provided below.
How do you opt out of direct marketing?
Let us know at any time if you don’t want personal information we hold about you to be used or shared for direct marketing, or you do not wish to be contacted about marketing and promotions. We might need to contact you to clarify your request, for extra information, or to verify your identity.
If you want to unsubscribe from future marketing and promotions, email “Unsubscribe” to email@example.com
Data security and quality
Cheapbills may store your information electronically or in hardcopy form. We take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse including, interference, loss, unauthorized access, disclosure, and mmodification.
This may include a range of systems and communication security measures, as well as the secure storage of hard copy documents. In addition, access to your personal information will be restricted to those properly authorized to have access.
Cheapbills relies on your personal information in conducting our business, It is important the information we have is complete, accurate, and up-to-date. If you think your personal information is incorrect, incomplete, outdated, or misleading, contact our Privacy Officer below to correct the information.
Cheapbills is professionally hosted and operated in a secure environment. You should be aware that there is often a risk in sharing personal information on the Internet.
Cookies are information pieces which a website transfers to your computer for record-keeping. Information collected might be used by cheapbills to enhance and personalize your experience on our website. We collect aggregated non-personally identifiable data to assist us to maintain and better the delivery of cheapbills online marketing and service. Aggregated data enables cheapbills to improve website navigation and content.
When visiting our online resources, cheapbills may collect statistical information about your visit including but not only:
- server address;
- domain name;
- time and date of your visit;
- pages accessed and documents downloaded;
- previous sites visited;
- we browser used.
We record this data to maintain our server and improve our services. There are several methods and packages that we use to collect visitor behaviors on each of our online platforms. Like a number of commercial website operators, cheapbills use tools to measure and analyze internet usage across our websites. This enables cheapbills to track the number of unique browsers to our websites.
Third party site links
Links to third party websites are provided on our website, cheapbills are not responsible for the practices or content of third party websites.
Links are provided for your convenience and do not represent an endorsement of a third party website. cheapbills recommend that you check the privacy policies of third party websites before providing the personal information.
Accessing or correcting your personal information
Request access to your personal information by contacting our Privacy Officer below. Generally, access will be provided. Access to personal information may be denied in some circumstances, for example:
- providing access would impact unreasonably on the privacy of others;
- the request is vexatious or frivolous ;
- the information is in relation to anticipated or existing or legal proceedings and would not usually be accessible as a part of those legal proceedings;
- providing access would be considered unlawful;
- providing access could prejudice law enforcement related activities;
- providing access would show evaluative information in relation to a commercially sensitive decision-making process; or
- access would pose a threat to the health or safety, or the life of any individual or the public health.
Any restrictions or denials to information requested will be provided in writing. Fees may be charged for access to information and will be payable at the time of access.
Making a privacy complaint
For concerns or complaints please contact our privacy officer below. We respond to all concerns and complaints within 30 days. Contact the Australian Information Commissioner on 1300 363 992 or visit their website at www.oaic.gov.au for more information about privacy requirements or to report privacy concerns.
- have questions, worries or complaints about how your personal information is collected or handled by cheapbills;
- would like to access to or make changes to your personal information.